November 01, 2014, 12:42:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Camping with Guinea Pigs  (Read 6704 times)
ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« on: February 03, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »

Does anyone here camp with Guinea Pigs?  I mean, bring them along with you while camping?

My husband got me a couple for little guys for Christmas and now I am wondering if we can bring them along camping.

Burlington, Ontario
2010 Spree 310RLS behind a 2013 F150 Ecoboost XLT/XTR
Me  Canada :'77
DH  UK :'69
Dog #1: Tonka (Male, American Cocker & Dog) #2: Gizmo (Male, Shih Tzu), and Dog #3 Tilley (Female, American Cocker)
Vic Mackey
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:59 PM »

I've seen people bring lots of different animals camping. I don't see where the GP's would be any different. To me they'd be better than bringing your dog camping but that's for another thread. I say bring them along. Let them enjoy the good times.
ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »

Well, I have two dogs as well... and they ALWAYS come with us.  It's the dogs that have caused our trailers to get bigger, and bigger and bigger. 

I was looking online and there are "X Pen" sort of things that would be good for them to be outside but away from any preditors.  Maybe I will order one so it's here in time for camping season.

Burlington, Ontario
Dog #1: Tonka (Male, American Cocker & Dog) #2: Gizmo (Male, Shih Tzu), and Dog #3 Tilley (Female, American Cocker)
flakeyspam
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:30:28 PM »

When my son was small we always had hamsters and as we were living in the keys at the time we would have to evacuate for hurricanes in the summer our hamies always came with us and stayed in the cage at the cg we would bring the little ball they would ride around in we got some funny looks sometimes but they were part of the family to.  and when you factor in the dog we were quite a circus.

pam bentley shelby bentley
1998 coleman sun valley
tv 2006 jeep wrangler
1 teenage son
buddy the golden camper
gal the border collie camper
Unstable Tripod
Back-er-in-er

Seattle, Washington

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »

Guinea pigs would probably make pretty good bear snacks.   Wink   Wink

1998 Explorer Sport and 2007 Fleetwood Yuma

BradleyB4
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:54:52 PM »

Camping guinea pigs! How cute is that! Are they paper or litter box trained? I have had gp's in the past, but I never knew how to potty train them. I have had 3 gp's, but they never lived more than a couple of years. My first gp I had illegally in my college dorm room. He could distinguish the sound of my footsteps from all of the other girls in the dorm, so when he would hear me coming down the hall, he would whistle really, really loudly. My cover was blown, but the RA never turned me in.
I absolutely love that you are taking them camping, but never let them be outside uncovered. You can take the bottom out of their cage and let them be on the bare grass with the cage still over them (and you right there beside them). They will love it. They need sunshine just like we do. Just don't let them get too hot. And never leave them outside unattended. They would make a tasty snack for many a wild thing and some domestic ones too.

Pat

Pat
'99 Coleman Utah (sold)
'10 Aliner Expedition

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554042183gthFZI
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

Be sure you clean up after them.  If they're like ours were, they make quite a mess for someone to step in later or for the next camper's toddlers to get in.  Ew.

Ours could hear when the garage door went up when my husband came home from work every day.  He always gave them lettuce when he came home, and they'd start whistling like crazy whenever that door opened!

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 07:51:18 PM »

BradleyB4, the plan was to purchase something almost like a kid's play pen but that is covered on the top with some sort of screening material.  Also, to put it under the awning.  For the life of me I can't find the link to the certain item that I was looking to purchase.

Cleaning up after the little guys wouldn't be an issue as we ALWAYS walk around the site before pulling out to make sure we haven't missed any of the dogs poop.  We are courteous like that.  It's just how we roll.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:40:02 AM by ElizabethAnn » Logged

Burlington, Ontario
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »

The folks next to us a couple Independence Days ago brought their pet rabbit!  We were thankful we left the pack of Miniature Dachshunds at home...

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
chilipyro
Sr. Moderator
Back-er-in-er

Windsor, CT

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 09:48:47 AM »

Our new (at the time) hamster came with us to Fort Wilderness (Disney) last year. That's when he earned his middle name 'Houdini'. That hamster could find the most creative ways to escape his confines. We eventually figured out how to block all of his escape routes, but it was the nocturnal noise that kept us from bringing him along for later trips. Our ginnea pigs are quieter at night, and I'll bet they would make great camp pets. Their cage is on the large size though, so we haven't done it. They would have to travel in the camper, and I'd worry that they would not like all the bouncing around - they are not the bravest animals.

2009 Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2012 Ford F350 King Ranch dually 4x4 crew cab longbed 6.7L powerstroke diesel

USA DH(me),  UK DW, DS1(15), DS2(14), DD(12)

KristinU
Back-er-in-er

Connecticut

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »

We saw a guinea pig camping last year!  I would think that they'd be good little camp pets as long as they were used to riding in the car.  I'd probably start now taking them on short car trips so it isn't such a big deal to ride in the TV once camping season starts.  And maybe to alleviate Chili's quandry with the big cages, you could try travel cages for them to ride in inside the TV and keep the big cages in the camper for the drive?

Cheers!
Kristin

2012 Gulf Stream Visa 23BHD TravTlr Black
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax  Pickup Red
My camping party: me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), baby DK9 ('11)
Nights Camped:
2012: 32
2011: 40 (hooray, broke the 21 night streak - almost doubled it!)
2010: 21 (no, not a typo!)
2009: 21
2008: 21
www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
www.alineradventures.blogspot.com
chilipyro
Sr. Moderator
Back-er-in-er

Windsor, CT

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 11:15:52 AM »

That would work. They seem to spend 90% of the day underneath their small plastic igloos, within the larger cage anyway (never in the same igloo together), so a small travel cage would not be any more confining.

ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »

I have made our little guys a very large C&C two story Piggy Condo so bring that along isn't an option, unless I had a bigger trailer.

My plan is/was to purchase a travel crate for them and then a X-pen sort of thing for outside.

Now, with all of this being said for two nighters they will most likely stay at home.  We have a housemate that could feed them and keep them watered.  I am just thinking for long weekends and our annual week long trip on to Manitoulin Island.

KristinU - thanks for the advice regarding the test trips.  We may just start doing that once the weather is warmer (I don't want the little guys to get cold).

They are the cutest little guys.  I some times even stream them live over the internet so I can watch what they are up to while I am at work.

I was also thinking of getting those harness and leashes so that they can really stretch their little legs while camping...

I don't have it set up today, but here it the link;

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ben-jerry-the-pretty-pigs

Burlington, Ontario
chilipyro
Sr. Moderator
Back-er-in-er

Windsor, CT

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:40 AM »

Streaming pigs - I love it! I couldn't quite get it to work with the link you sent (probably browser settings), but great idea!

ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »

It's not running today but I will set up my computer tomorrow.  You will be able to see why I can't travel with their home cage.  The darn thing is 42 x 70, and that's just the first floor.

They don't do much during the day, and if you are going to watch I should warn you that I think they are gay (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Burlington, Ontario
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: