September 02, 2014, 03:33:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you tow with your Honda?  (Read 8959 times)
thefishermen3
Wheel Chocker

« on: January 25, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

I have been browsing for awhile and finally joined. I know some of you tow with your Honda Pilot or Odyssey and I would like to see a list all together. I have a 2006 Pilot with tow package and I've read about the numbers but real world experience is hard to beat. I am especially interested in opinions by owners that have the poti/shower option. I've read some great information on this site all ready. In fact about 95% of my pop up knowledge has been obtain from here.

Thanks!
InTheDirt
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:10 PM »

So far, my li'l Honda only pulls around my utility trailer.  But then, my Honda is a 1983 ATC185s Big Smile
jms336
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 05:38:29 AM »

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=32620.0

thefishermen3
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 11:21:08 AM »

Ok, so far I see a Coachmen Clipper 1265 ST and a Jayco 1207. Thanks!
rogerw
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »

My coleman does not have shower or potti. Easy tow.

I also towed a 2003 Coleman Westlake (a rental) that has shower and potti, 400 lbs heavier; tows about the same.
I think you can tow most pup except the newer high wall and toy hauler models.

Hope this helps.

PopUp Blue  Pickup Red
2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2009 Honda Pilot
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 CrewMax
thefishermen3
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »

Thanks. The Westlake is on of the models I'm looking at.
jms336
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 05:20:09 AM »

Are you planning to use a WDH?  Electric Brakes?  Those things make a huge difference.  Many are tempted to use air bags but I would highly recommend getting a WDH if your load will be over 2,000 pounds.
Camping Queen
Back-er-in-er

San Clemente, CA

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:50:49 AM »

I currently tow a Viking 2460 that has a porta potty/shower unit with my Odyssey.  Never any problems.  I will be towing a Jayco Eagle with porta potty/shower and front storage box this coming season.  I plan to get a WDH/sway controller since this one is definitely heavier.  The Odyssey manual states WDH for anything above 1800 pounds, IIRC, so I really should have been using one from the beginning.  As I stated though, I never had any problems.

Jane -'6?  Deleware         
DH Dennis (The Reluctant Camper) -'58 Texas  
DD1 -'98  California
DD2 -'01  California
'14 Toyota Tacoma  Pickup Grey
'05 Honda Odyssey  Van Blue
'04 Jayco Eagle 12 FSO   PopUp Green
71Iriquois
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »

Our Honda Oddysey doesn't seem to mind a trailer.  Mine's basically a tent in a box, an old soft top Coleman style tent trailer.  I recommend getting a tranny cooler, the manufacturer recommends one anyway.  A nice feature with the cooler is you can add on an in-line filter.  Honda buried the OEM filter deep inside the tranny and you can't change it.

I put the hitch in myself, the threads are an odd ball metric size, think they were 1.25 10mm or something.  You'd want to get a tap and clean those bolt holes out first, they get pretty gunked up.  The harness is a peice of cake to put in, no cutting involved, just plugs in.  Stock mirrors work fine too.

PopUp Cyan  Van Blue  Canada

That's me in a nutshell...how did I get into this nutshell?
rogerw
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »

My 2009 Pilot factory hitch does not allow for WDH usage. I checked, WDH usage is NOT recommended. But the Pilot does come with transmission, power steering cooler standard and pre-wired for brake control; then Honda give us a tinny 3500/350 tow capacity. What the?

My previous 2003 Odyssey allows 500lb TR + 5000lb trailer weight when using WDH with an aftermarket hitch. But transmission, power steering coolers are required and non standard. There is not pre-wiring for brake control either. Okay, it is a minivan and most folks are not towing anything with a minivan, granted.

I think my 2009 Pilot's limit of 3500/350 is with unibody design AND no option to put on anything aftermarket like the Odyssey.

Oh, well. I suppose if I need to pull a travel trailer or a hybrid, Honda is highly recommending me to get a real truck and not from Honda.

PopUp Blue  Pickup Red
2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2009 Honda Pilot
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 CrewMax
pup daddy
Handle Cranker

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 09:03:25 PM »

We just picked up our NTU '07 Fleetwood Bayside CP.  Towed it home about 80 miles today, in the rain, and my Ridgeline didn't flinch.  I have the factory tow package which includes the tranny cooler and prewiring for brake controller.  The Prodigy controller only took about 5 minutes to install with the Honda wiring harness and it worked great.  Had to follow the seller to his house to get the keys to the pup.  He lives on top of a HUGE hill on Camano Island, WA. Going up that hill was tough, but probably more for me than the truck as this was really the first time I have ever towed anything and I was a little nervous.  Well, the only other time I towed something, I got into an accident, but that's a long story.  Anyway, the Bayside is a pretty large trailer and my truck handles it just fine.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO CAMPING!!!!!

2007 Fleetwood Bayside CP
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 5.7L V8 4x4
Nights camped 2010: 15
Nights camped 2011: tbd
Nights camped 2012: 0
Canvas Cottage
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 04:57:15 AM »

We pull a 2003 Colman Tacoma (Sun Valley floor plan).  The Odyssey seems to tug it along just fine.  Just wish I could lock the tranny into 4th gear.  Even when the OD starts to hunt, 3rd gear just seems like overkill.  It's the one thing I'm jealous of Sienna owners.   Sad

2003 Coleman Tacoma
2007 Honda Odyssey
Tranny and PS Cooler
Prodigy Brake Controller
Reese Mini 350
mkaz
Handle Cranker

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 06:19:59 AM »

We pull a 2005 Bayside CP with our 2009 Pilot (AWD- 4500lbs towing on the AWD).  It does well on all kinds of terrain including  5000' of elevation gain from Phoenix to Flgastaff.  Its not a situation where you forget that you have a trailer in tow but there's nothing disconcerting while towing.

The factory hitch is great, as is the pre-wiring.  I had my Prodigy connected and working in minutes.  Honda's might not be the BEST tow vehicles but its the best for us when there isn't a trailer hitched up.  Considering that 90% of our miles are without a trailer, I think its a perfect vehicle for our family.

Full disclosure: In a previous life I was an engineer working for Honda, my projects included this model Pilot.  I cross shopped Toyota, Nissan, Ford, & GM but legitimately felt the Pilot was worth my money (didn't get an employee deal on this one, we bought after leaving).

'09 Honda Pilot
'05 Fleetwood Bayside
Sabatical
Handle Cranker

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 07:21:04 PM »

We have a 2007 Odyssey with dealer installed tow package.  We tow a 1994 Flagstaff/Cobra 10' basic popup (identical to the 2010 flagstaff 206LTD) that we bought late last summer.  On our first big trip fully loaded the tongue weight was 230 pounds (that was with a heavy cooler placed inside the door).  The unloaded weight is probably around 1500 pounds since we have air conditioning and an awning.  I don't have a a battery since we camp with hookups or do without.  I also removed the propane tank since I don't think I would use it and it takes up weight.  It has a lot of storage room and open floor space room to load it up when closed which I like.  I haven't weighed it yet fully loaded but my guess is that it is just under 2,000 pounds.

I would like brakes but then I would have to install a new axle since mine doesn't have the brake flange.  I would then have to add a battery not to mention a brake controller.  I don't use sway control and found I haven't needed it on several trips.  I also don't use a WDH because I'm sure the pups frame probably isn't made for it.  The van sags very little in the back which is good.

The van has plenty of power for the pup fully loaded, the van fully packed, along with 3 kids, 1 fat dog, and 2 adults.  The powertrain between your 2009 Pilot and our 2007 Odyssey is the same and I would not hesitate to tow up to the full GCWR of 8,410 pounds.  I don't find that the transmission hunts at all but I do think it is pretty dumb that Honda designed the 5 speed trans such that the D3 button locks out 4th and 5th gear when really there should be a D4 button that locks out 5th gear.  Toyota allows you to do this and offers AWD, which are two big plusses.

We bought the van new and seriously considerd the Toyota as well.  We did not consider a Chrysler product, Nissan, or a Hyundai / Kia at that time.  We plan on keeping this van till the wheels fall off so I make sure to keep up diligently with the maintenance.
thefishermen3
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »

Thanks for the input. DW and I went to a show this past weekend and will shortly be purchasing a Rockwood 2560G. I also just got my first order from etrailer ( boy are they fast) of P3 brake controller and friction sway controller!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: