October 01, 2014, 02:16:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Leak in front storage compartment ~ How to replace MDF panel  (Read 6510 times)
Bigdogs
Chocks-a-lot

Coleman 2:13 'And he said, "let there be camp'n!"

« on: September 29, 2009, 07:01:38 AM »

We bought a 2002 Coleman Laramie in near perfect condition with one exception. It appears that either the top or side door/seal leaked at one point or something spilled in that area causing some mild water damage.

Under the linoleum, there is a 6" X 12" section of the particle board floor that is very swolen and a bit brittle. About 1/3 of the side MDF panel is swolen and mushy. I don't think it's a huge problem and it appears to have been an isolated incodent but I am concerned about what could happen if it got wet again as well as resale value.

I think I can easily take care fo the floor but I am not sure about how to replace the side wall. The MDF board that is behind the thermo formed exterior panel is rivited in from the outside.

Has anyone done this sort of repair before? It looks like it might be pretty simple if only I can figure out an easy way to gain access.

I even have a CNC router and can program a new piece to be cut as an exact match. Perhaps I could offer a few of these for free or at a minor cost to anyone who could provide me with some helpful information. A drawing and or dimensions would be great!

2003 Honda Odyssey
1994 Royale (sold)
1998 Redwood (sold)
1996 Bayport (sold)
1996 Utah (sold)
1996 Sun Valley (sold)
2002 Laramie (sold)
2004 Rockwood 2480 (sold)
2004 Cheyenne (sold)
2000 Fairview (current)
1 Wife
4 Kids (10,8,6,1)
1 Newfoundland
1 St. Bernard
1 Yellow Lab
1 Kitten (smuggled in from Canada)
1 Guinea Pig
2 Geckos
1 Fish
1 Lobster
1 Grass Shrimp
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 07:10:07 AM »

Check out bluesman's repairs to his Bayside ... he's done extensive work and many of his pics offer quite a few details.  He doesn't post often but does pop by from time to time so you can probably contact him via PUX.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Bluesman
Parking Heckler

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:50:48 AM »

I'm still around, just not as active.

Let me know if you have any questions Bigdogs and I'll be glad to help you.  My photos pretty much tell the story on what to do.  My repair is better than factory new, leak free and without careful study you'd never know it was done.

Bluesman WisconsinIllinoisIowa        
Got Mojo?

PopUp Green  SUV Green  Pickup Blue

1991 Silverado 5.7L 4x4 Chevrolet
2012 Toyota Highlander Limited, 400 mini hitch Toyota
2002 Coleman Bayside - "Last of the Green Ones"

(1) wife New Hampshire, (2) kids Iowa Iowa, (1) Choc. Lab. Wisconsin and a mortgage.
norm
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 06:59:18 AM »

Bigdogs - You may be surprised at what you find once you get it apart.  It is probably worse than you originally thought. 

Most important is find where the water came from so it will not happen again. 

Bluesman's pictures were a life saver for my first trunk rebuild.  I'm still using them for my second one (I had a leak at another spot).  His camper is slightly different from mine.  On the outside they look the same, but once the trunk is off, there are differences in construction, not major, but interesting.  Like carriage bolts in some places, the back trunk wall appears to be further back on the bayside, no duct tape was in mine.  Bunk brace was made out of 1x2.  His looks like 2x6?. 

Norm
 PopUp Grey SUV White  USA Texas
2000 Coleman Westlake
2000 Chevy Suburban 4WD
Parents - 2
Boys - 4 (I think they are winning)
Bluesman
Parking Heckler

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »

I used a treated 1x4 and cut it to fit.  The original was also a 1x.

Got Mojo?

(1) wife New Hampshire, (2) kids Iowa Iowa, (1) Choc. Lab. Wisconsin and a mortgage.
norm
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 05:46:08 PM »

I decided to go bigger too.  I didn't do the treated, but used a 1x3 for the horizontal pieces, then I used 2x4's cut to be 2x3's for the vertical supports.  I also put an L bracket on each side of the vertical supports (they were what moved and made the trunk leak a second time).  I tried to fit a 1x4, but it was a tad too wide.

DW says we will not take it apart again!  If it needs work, we pay someone else to do it  Smile  It takes a lot of time, and the garage is full while it is being worked on.  We like to keep our cars in the garage.

Norm

Norm
2000 Coleman Westlake
2000 Chevy Suburban 4WD
Parents - 2
Lazyike
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:10:51 PM »

I recently gave up the big TT to come back to a pup. I bought a 2002 Niagra and it has the same issue in the right end of the trunk and the front wall of the slide out. The damage looks to be old as it is dry now, I am not sure how the water ever got in. Bluesman were you able to see how it got in after you tore it down? I will be storing mine inside a pole shed so, wont be out in the weather. I put a pieice of plywood in the trunk and the slide out is not severe enough to worry about. Just curious how the water got in? All seals are good and the side door on the trunk is fitting well.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:12:24 PM by Lazyike » Logged

2003 COLEMAN NIAGRA
1991 CHEVY S10
norm
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 04:46:42 PM »

My first leak came from the trunk top.  There were tons (100's) of small hairline cracks on the trunk top between the trunk lid and the part where the camper top rests.  The water was running down a support shelf toward the right side of the camper.  The right side is lower where I store it.

The second leak was around the corner where the ABS trunk top fits into the sheet metal side. 

Not sure about where the slide out might be leaking.

If you are storing it in a barn, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have water in the camper while you are towing.

Norm
2000 Coleman Westlake
2000 Chevy Suburban 4WD
Parents - 2
Bluesman
Parking Heckler

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:45:36 PM »

Bluesman were you able to see how it got in after you tore it down?  Just curious how the water got in?

Primarily it was along the T-rail at the top and the side hatch door seal. 

Got Mojo?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: