September 01, 2014, 05:36:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fold out bed supports  (Read 1310 times)
71Iriquois
Wheel Chocker

« on: August 13, 2009, 09:24:46 PM »

Hello all.  I've got a 1971 tent trailer with sagging fold-out beds.  The beds are just plywood sheets about 3' X 7', piano hinged to the main body and supported from underneath by two fold out support arms.  The problem is the outer 9 or 10 inches of the plywood sheet is unsupported and it bends down. 

I have to replace the plywood anyway, and I'm looking for ideas to make the beds better supported.  I had planned on using angle iron and flat bar to edge the new sheets, then welding in a corner plate to mount a support onto.  If anyone done work on an older trailer like this, or have any ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance and great forum you got here.

http://thisoldtrailer.myphotoalbum.com/

Canada  BEER!
 PopUp Green  Van Blue Ontario

That's me in a nutshell...how did I get into this nutshell?
eric1514
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 05:06:59 AM »

That's a very nice trailer!

Before you plunk down cash for plywood, investigate OSB (Oriented Strand Board). That stuff has pretty much replaced plywood in the construction of modern pop-ups The major reason is cost but it is superior in wet or damp conditions.

If your trailer uses plywood and that plywood is original it is now 38 years old and age alone could be why it sags. Replace it and see where you are before you start engineering solutions to a problem that may no longer exist.

If it still sags and you have the room, I would think steel angle iron, say 1x1 would do the trick.

Keep us posted,
Eric

2003 Silverado
2008 Starcraft 3612
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: