September 16, 2014, 09:29:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing with Rendezvous  (Read 4499 times)
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« on: May 08, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »

I bought a 2000lb tent trailer to tow with my 3litre 98 Caravan and discovered that was a bad idea.  I am considering the purchase of a Buick Rendezvous.  Will the Buick perform well, especially on grades?  I'm not finding many with the tow package.  is the larger rad a necessity?

nsbound

This post is from HYX member and merged with the PUX forum data in April of 2009.
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:35 PM »

are you asking about using the Buick for your tent trailer? or are you asking if it can tow a hybrid?

if it' for your popup, it'll be much better than your minivan.

if it's for a hybrid, it only has a 3500lbs. towing capacity if properly equipped. only 2000lbs. if not.
even the smallest hybrids will be over 3000lbs. with options but not including water, propane and cargo.

Me- Firefighter[911]
DW-Musician/Entrepreneur[:X]
Zoe-Golden Retriever[:p]
'07ChevyAvalancheLS[tv-chevrolet]
'07RockwoodRoo23SS[hyblue]
w/Equalizer and Prodigy

This post is from HYX member and merged with the PUX forum data in April of 2009.
HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 08:55:35 AM »

Doubt you'll see a big difference between the two as tow vehicles as they are rated to tow the same amount.. Either of these vehicles make marginal tow vehicles at best.

Parrot Head
  Hybrid  '00 Cabana 1701  
 Van White '01 Chevy Astro

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 05:49:01 AM »

Thanks for the input. Yes, it is a tent trailer that I am looking for a tow vehicle for without going too huge.  I bought a Palomino Real-Lite RL-801 tent trailer.  Sleeps 4, smallest on the lot and I thought the Caravan would pull it.  But my Caravan is only a 3l and the top capacity with all the options is only about 1500lb.  I'm planning a trip from MB to NS this summer and I don't want to be pushed down those grades in Northern ON or wind up on the side of the road somewhere.  I don't want to go over-kill on a big gas guzzling vehicle to pull my little trailer (GVWR 2232lb; GAWR 2090lb).  From my research the Buick Rendezvous is the best combination of family friendly vehicle for general use and adequate towing capacity for my trailer but I can't find one locally with the tow package already on it.  May be there's a message in that or maybe people are so happy they're not selling them!  So, I'm wondering what I have to put on the Buick to achieve that 3500lb capacity.  The dealership where I almost bought one was going to do the transmission cooler, electric brakes and the hitch.  The factory package also includes a bigger rad and alternator.  So, my question is, is what the dealer is offering to do adequate to achieve the 3500lb rating and does anyone have any input on the Buick's performance with towing a similar trailer.  I don't need to be the fastest on the road, just safe!

nsbound

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 05:39:43 PM »

If I were making this purchase, I'd be looking at small SUV's that can handle the job, most of them (Explorer, Grand Cherokee etc) have a 5,000# tow rating...or go mid-size with a Durango (3rd row seating) which has an even higher tow rating!

Chaos reigns within, reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return!

The Other Campground

www.gonecamping.net
2004 Trail Cruiser C-23B
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
89 Thomas 3401-DP

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:15:53 PM »

Hi,
As already mentioned a SUV is good choice for more tow capacity. I would not focus on the Rendezvous. The Rendezvous is based on a minivan platform, not a truck platform. It will toe like a van. That being said, you can get a van with a tow package, and a larger engine (more power) that will tow your trailer fine and dandy. The power in the vans has increased a lot since 1998. I would not say a larger rad is needed, but a big transmission cooler is a must. Since you have a Dodge, look at a newer Dodge with a 3.8 liter motor (and add a trans cooler).

Good Luck on your trip!

HYX Member
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 07:00:05 AM »

The Buick's max rating is only 3500 pounds and only with the "factory towing package" whatever that consists of.

That capacity will pull a 2500 pound trailer nicely and allow passengers and camping gear inside the tow vehicle without exceeding 3500 pounds.  3500 is the total of the trailer AND internal load in the tow vehicle.

Vehicles like the Explorer, TrailBlazer, etc. are sold as station wagons, not tow vehicles and unless they have factory tow packages are rated about 3500 pounds too -- don't make any assumptions!  Small so-called SUVs like the Escape are only rated at 2000 pounds but go to 3500 with the factory tow package (which also includes the receiver!).

You don't need add-on transmission radiators if the tow rating is already adequate, but they're often the only difference in tow ratings.  

As an example the standard tow rating of my Expedition is 6000 pounds.  The factory HD tow package adds wiring (something ya need!), a larger engine radiator, and a larger transmission radiator.  That's it.  Mas towing capacity jumps to 9000 pounds.  My Explorer jumped from 3500 to 5500 pounds with the wiring and larger transmission radiator.

HD tow packages rarely have any negative effects on things like fuel economy.  Always order one with any new vehicle.  Only $300 or so when new.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind an '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
 Rockwood Roo 23SS

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: