September 15, 2014, 01:26:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone pull with a Toyota Sienna?  (Read 7021 times)
Christine & David
Chocks-a-lot

Ecru, Mississippi

« on: April 22, 2009, 05:58:12 AM »

I have an '09 Starcraft 2106.  Does anyone use a Sienna as a TV?  I am looking but concerned about the hitch height and tongue weight.

Christine, David & Joey Dog

Flagstaff 25DS TravTlr Black & Toyota Tundra
 USA   Mississippi
JD and Beastlet
Camp Host
PUXaholic

Ottawa, ON

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:47:23 AM »

lnorman pulls his 3500-lb GVWR 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley with a Sienna.  IIRC FloridaNative tows with a Sienna too.

2008 Starcraft ST 2700BH behind 2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4.
Linked by ProPride 3P 1400, stopped by Prodigy, guided by Garmin nüvi 1490 LMT, reflected by McKesh.
Geodude
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

Ottawa, Ontario

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:58:30 AM »

FloridaNative in fact pulls a small TT with Sienna.  He upgraded from a Camry!  He has been pleased with both, from his postings.

2012 Heartland Greystone 33CK, 38' triple-slide 5er
2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7L Power Stroke diesel, short box, crew cab, 4WD + Husky 16K EZ Roller 5th wheel hitch

Issue 16.2 of PopUp Times is now out!  Also in the iTunes store, including 16.1 for free for a limited time for you test drivers.  Get in on the action, subscribe today!
dkutz
Parking Heckler

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:13:21 AM »

Yes we pull an 02 FLeetwood with our 04 sienna.  We love it!!  Have to do a "drop" on the hitch instead of a rise.

Dawnne and Dieter
DS '00
DS '02
DS '04
2 Dogs Eve, Lulu + 5 Cats.

2002 Coleman/Fleetwood Tacoma - A/C - 
2013 Toyota Sienna
don Pablo de exchange
Handle Cranker

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 11:02:47 AM »

I have an '09 Starcraft 2106.  Does anyone use a Sienna as a TV?  I am looking but concerned about the hitch height and tongue weight.
the specs for that model are

GVWR -2090lbs
UVW - 1509lbs
HW - 163lbs

this is not a very heavy trailer, and can be easily towed with a sienna, you might want to consider a few items

- you did not mention what year your sienna is, on the newer ('08, '09) towing prep is an option on the USA models (std on canadian models). the manual says 1000lbs max for a non-tow preped sienna, 3500 lbs for tow preped siennas, 350 lbs hitch weight

-the use of trailer brakes is recomended, and prefered by many. this would have to be wired in. think prodigy or p3as a brake controller

-the sienna is a very soft sprung rear, airlifts can be used to stiffen up the rear coils so that it doesn't drop as much

-you might be able to get away with out weight distibution,as the trailer is "light"

-depending on the hitch reciever you get, select the correct ball-mount to get the trailer level

-seinna owners have a valuable resource, http://siennachat.com/forum/index.php?board=10.0 where you can get advice from sienna owners.

Paul
(waiting for my 09 flagstaff 625d to be delivered, to be towed with a 05 sienna, i am going whole-hog on equipment, airlifts, wd, prodigy p3)

GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating
The maximum permissible weight of the trailer when fully loaded with all systems filled. It includes all weight at the trailer axle(s) plus hitch.
UVW - Unloaded Vehicle Weight
Sometimes referred to as the Gross Vehicle Weight or Curb Weight, the UVW is the dry weight of the trailer as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the trailer axle(s) plus hitch.
HW - Hitch Weight
Hitch Weight represents the portion of the trailer weight that is carried by the tongue to the hitch ball on the tow vehicle.

Paul

Van Red 2005 Toyota Sienna CE Toyota  Reese Mini 350 WDH/ Airlift 1000's/ P3 Brake Control
 PopUp Green 2009 Flagstaff 625d  PopUp Green

Canada ME
 Canada DW
 Canada DD
lnorman
Parking Heckler

Ottawa, Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »

If those are the weights The Sienna will handle it no problem. ( unless you camp with a herd of linebackers in the Sienna)
Mine is about 50% heavier and still no problem.  I posted lots of details on another related thread here today so have  look for it.
It may be that WDH is not required for such a light trailer, You could hook it up and get it to the scales to be sure.  It would be good to confirm the Starcraft can accept WDH, not all light trailers can, just to know your options. 
Good luck.
Larry

PopUp Blue Van Grey 2008 Fleetwood Sun Valley/2007 Toyota Sienna LE Toyota Reese Mini 350 WDH/ Airlift 1000's/ Prodigy Brake Control
lnorman'66  Canada Ontario, and family: DW '70[can] British Columbia, DD'02[can], DD '03  Canada,DS '06  Canada
Nights camped 2007 = 35
Sandbanks/Charleston Lake/Sandbanks/Killbear/Lake of Two Rivers/Bonnechere/Achray/ Canisbay
Nights camped 2008= 35
Sandbanks/Sandbanks/Riverside-Cedars/Killbear/Coon Lake/Bonnechere/ Achray/ Mew Lake
Nights camped 2009=24
Sandbanks/Sandbanks/Killbear/Burleigh Falls/Achray
Nights camped 2010=20
Sandbanks/Killbear/Burleigh Falls/
Christine & David
Chocks-a-lot

Ecru, Mississippi

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 04:47:38 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I have a related question.  I went to the Sienna forum and read a lot about trailer breaks.  My Starcraft did not come with breaks.  It is light weight but most comments recommended breaks.  Question:  is their a mod for the Starcraft to add breaks?  I am currently pulling with an '04  Ford Ranger with no problem but am concerned about pulling with a Sienna with no breaks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Christine, David & Joey Dog

Flagstaff 25DS TravTlr Black & Toyota Tundra
 USA   Mississippi
thebrakeman
Parking Heckler

Canton, Michigan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 07:16:54 AM »

As a braking engineer, my recommendation for anyone is this:
The brake system on any vehicle has been tested to stop according to federal guildlines when loaded up to it's GVWR.  I'm not sure about your particular minivan, but my minivan is about 4200 lbs empty, and 5700 lbs GVWR, so I'll use that in this example.

If your loaded van PLUS the loaded trailer were to remain within this 5700 lbs limit, then your van's brakes really wouldn't know the difference, and would basically be functioning at their limit.  But you already know that the loaded trailer is somewhere between 1500 and 2100 lbs (probably around 2000 lbs).  Without even talking about the passenger and cargo weight in the van, you are already running at least 6200 lbs (in this example), which is overloading the brakes by 500 lbs.  Add in your family and stuff in the back, and you will easily be overloading the brakes by 1000 lbs.

You will definitely need to be using trailer brakes.  Adding them is fairly straightforward if your trailer already has the mounting plates welded to the axle tube.  Add the spindles, brakes, bearings, hubs, and drums, run the wiring, add an electric brake controller.  If you don't have the mounting plates there, most have said it is easier and cheaper, to simply have the entire axle swapped out for a Dexter axle that already has the brake hardware in place.

Eitiher way, you have some thinking to do before I would consider running this rig.  Without trailer brakes, you might not be able to stop short enough to avoid a problem.

thebrakeman ('70)
DW ('71), 3 DD's ('99, '01, '05)
 SUV White 2006 Mercury Mountaineer AWD Premier (V8 4.6L 3-valve)
Factory Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer 10k WDH
2004 Forest River Surveyor SV261T (Ultralite Hybrid)
27-ft, Front Queen Tipout, Rear Quad Bunks
1997/2000 Chrysler minivans & 2000 Coleman Mesa (popup)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: