October 20, 2014, 07:41:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulltiming in a pop-up  (Read 3908 times)
radimus
Back-er-in-er

« on: October 24, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »

Been poking around the fulltimer and workamper boards just for kicks and got to thinking.  Anyone ever fulltime with a pop-up?  Ever hear of or meet anyone doing this? 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:30:34 PM by radimus » Logged

rad

hybrid Red 2007 Starcraft Antigua 215S
 SUV Red 1997 GMC Yukon * 1999 GMC Suburban  SUV Black
1991 Ford F-150   Pickup Blue
Beacher
Parking Heckler

Sunny Southern California - USA

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:51:42 AM »

There was a fairly recent book written by a retired couple, (linked on the Fleetwood FT website, and circulated for reading by members on this message board), called Popping Up Across America, by Arlene Corby, http://www.poppingup.com/ who travelled fulltime in their PopUp.

There are two big issues to consider.  The first is that even the best PopUps ever made were not designed or intended as a permanent residence.  They are meant to be temporary shelters.  They use decorative contact paper, foam, luan, cardboard, and particleboard which will quickly deteriorate with everyday use, (but lasts for many years if used as intended).

The other more obvious issue is the tent.  You will need to locate yourself in geographic areas where you can comfortably, (and economically), live in a tent throughout the yearly seasons.  While it's fine to winter camp in a PopUp for a weekend in freezing weather, (I do it several times a year), and consume a 20# tank of propane within two nights of furnace use, I would not want to do that for several weeks or months at a time!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 09:52:43 AM by beacher » Logged

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman - GTE Niagara  ... For $ale
2014 Thor - Hurricane 34E
Baytoven
Parking Heckler

Aridzona

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »

Most trailer warranties are voided by full timing, so all repairs would be at your expense.

Baytoven(Me) & Gdog(DH)
DS('92) DS('95) DD('97)
'04 Expedition/'99 Niagara (aka Williamsburg)  PopUp Green SUV Red
Tom-TC
Back-er-in-er

Twin Cities, MN, USA

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 10:49:59 AM »

...The other more obvious issue is the tent.  You will need to locate yourself in geographic areas where you can comfortably, (and economically), live in a tent...
I wouldn't expect this would be too big a problem.  Hitch 'er up and head out!   Tongue

Tom

94 Palomino Filly
01 Chevy Astro AWD
just_brian
Back-er-in-er

born and raised in Missouri

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 11:00:29 AM »

Most trailer warranties are voided by full timing, so all repairs would be at your expense.

I've never heard of this. Is this true?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:03:18 AM by just_brian » Logged

2008 Jayco JayFeather
2008 F-150
Puxers camped with (38)
Nights camped '08 (33)
MidCon Wagonmaster "08
Champion 3500W genset
Survivor of the 2010 Mid-Con Horsefly invasion
Baytoven
Parking Heckler

Aridzona

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 11:29:39 AM »

It varies by manufacturer and even specific models.  Often it's left vague and left to the dealer to choose and enforce.  However, if I were considering subjecting my rig to the demands of full-timing, I would want the warranty in writing up front.

Baytoven(Me) & Gdog(DH)
DS('92) DS('95) DD('97)
'04 Expedition/'99 Niagara (aka Williamsburg)  PopUp Green SUV Red
just_brian
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »

Not to doubt you but how would they know how many nights you have spent in it and what construes "fulltiming"? I don't see how this is possible because there are to many grey areas. I've seen fulltimers 10 year old rigs look brand new inside and out and I've also seen new rigs a couple of years old looking like 20 years old. It all comes down to how the individuals take care of them. I'll have to look at my warranty when I get home now. I don't remember anything being said about fulltiming voiding the warranty but I could be wrong. It's happen one other time. Wink

2008 Jayco JayFeather
2008 F-150
Puxers camped with (38)
Nights camped '08 (33)
MidCon Wagonmaster "08
Champion 3500W genset
radimus
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »

There was a fairly recent book written by a retired couple, (linked on the Fleetwood FT website, and circulated for reading by members on this message board), called Popping Up Across America, by Arlene Corby, http://www.poppingup.com/ who travelled fulltime in their PopUp.

Thanks.  I had forgotten about that book.  It's on my Amazon wishlist now.

There are two big issues to consider.  The first is that even the best PopUps ever made were not designed or intended as a permanent residence.  They are meant to be temporary shelters.  They use decorative contact paper, foam, luan, cardboard, and particleboard which will quickly deteriorate with everyday use, (but lasts for many years if used as intended).

And this is different from the construction of most MH's and TT's how?  At least the one's I've set foot in don't seem to be built any differently.

rad

K_and_I
Chocks-a-lot

North Central Ohio

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:58:47 PM »

The Forest River (Rockwood, in my case) warranty states:
"This unit was expressly designed for use as a recreational vehicle and is not intended for use as a full-time stationary residence."
Then, in another place, it states:
"This camping trailer has been designed for short term and recreational use. It was not designed to be used as a permanent dwellling. If you intend to use your camping trailer as a permanent dwelling, it could cause your drapes, upholstery, and interior surfaces to deteriorate prematurely. This premature damage and wear caused by permanent residency, may under the terms of Forest River's warranty, be considered abnormal and abusive, and COULD REDUCE YOUR WARRANTY COVERAGE." (their caps)

So, it's not entirely clear if full timing voids the warranty for Forest River. It is not stationary, but could be defined as a permanent dwelling.
I don't intend to find out for myself  Big Smile

DW
and_I
2008 Rockwood HW276
07 Palomino Pony
 PopUp Grey SUV Grey
Nights camped in 2010: 11
Do we have time for shortcuts?
popup dawg
Chocks-a-lot

Aiken, SC

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 03:55:28 PM »

Unless retired and constantly traveling, I don't think I could survive fulltime in a popup.

Charles and Pammie South Carolina
We Go Camping...

02  SUV Green Mercury Mountaineer
05  Pickup White Dodge Ram 1500
02  Hybrid Rockwood Roo

We spend 18 months teaching our kids to walk and talk...we spend the next 18 years teaching them to sit down and listen!
azjim1
Back-er-in-er

Phoenix, AZ

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »

The book (actually I think there was two copies) was making the rounds around the PUX members (I was number two to read it) and we were signing it in the back and then sending it on to the next person who wanted to read it. In fact the author posted here saying she was excited that we were enjoying it and passing it around and when we were done she would love to receive the signed version that had made its way around the country . . . like they had in their popup! I don't think that ever happened . . . Sad

USA Arizona
  PopUp Green 1999 Coleman Westlake replaced   PopUp Bronze STOLEN!!! 1987 Coleman Sequoia
  Van Blue 2006 Honda Odyssey
Me, Wife, 2 kids
a pack (2) of Australian Shephards

MY CAMPSITE, PLACES WE HAVE SEEN, CAMPER & MODS PICS HERE

HERE IS OUR CAMPSITES MAP
just_brian
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »

Not being one to argue but I still think there is to much grey area in there. They can't tell someone NOT to use their camper for full timing. NOT gonna happen. You paid for it you can use it however you want to use it and if you take care of it, it's no different than buying a new truck. They can't tell you not to tow something or your warranty is voided. You buy a new truck, are they going to tell you that you can't go across county towing for a living? I highly doubt it.

I can see the problems with the curtains fading and small stuff like that, but if you take care of it, it will be under warranty for what the normal warranty is. Most warranties are only for one year anyways so what do they have to lose? Sorry but someone has mislead someone.

2008 Jayco JayFeather
2008 F-150
Puxers camped with (38)
Nights camped '08 (33)
MidCon Wagonmaster "08
Champion 3500W genset
radimus
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 05:09:30 AM »

I remember that thread where the book was getting passed around.  I did a search and found it, but can't view it on my Blackberry:

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=54255

Not sure if the link is even any good.  If it is maybe it will help us find the book.

As to warranties, you can use you RV however you want.  They can't tell you how not to use it, but they don't have to cover it with a warranty either.  I wouldn't count on a warranty if I were fulltiming, regardless of what type of RV I use.  The warranty is only as good as whoever is willing to back it anyway.  If the company wants to weasel out of it they can find an excuse.

rad

Tukee44
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 07:38:57 AM »

Make sure you don't sit at one place too long. The bugs will make their nest and mold will grow.

Also, keep the plumber phone number handy. Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: