February 20, 2017, 04:56:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PUX/Hybrid graduate: help us pick a TT  (Read 1903 times)
EasyE
Handle Cranker

« on: November 06, 2015, 09:22:51 PM »

Since 2007 or so I used these boards to first help us without Pop-Up (which we loved but was bad for storage), then a Hybrid (which we dearly loved for 6 summers but have now outgrown with our 2 kids and sold).  It's time for a hard sided trailer.

I'm getting frustrated at the inefficiencies of the floor plans of hard sided trailers.  Why waste so much space on things like walk around beds?  Why are all couch beds too short for an adult male?  Why so many that don't seem to work for families?  But I digress.

Here's what I think we need:
* Bunk beds are a must
* Bed for adults 6'1 and under. Convertible is OK as long as it's comfortable enough.
* Enough room to breathe. This is what did us in with the hybrid, just too cramped for 4. (Starcraft 17ck)
* Towable with 5.3L 2003 Yukon 3.73 rated for 7400lbs.

There is a used Outback 25 RSS which caught by eye but it might be right one the edge of towable.  Originally we liked the 26 foot floor plans with horizontal couch in front of the master but now I think they might be too heavy. 

Any suggestions for a good TT in this class?

Hybrid Silver  SUV Black
2000 Starcraft 17CK
2005 Toyota 4Runner V6
Buckeye Hunter
Back-er-in-er

Union County OH

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »

We got a Jayco Jay Flight 254 this spring. We love it. Very similar floor plan to the Outback 25RSS. Main floor plan difference is we do not have the rear side door. Instead we have dinette on door side and sofa across from it, with no side slide out. The extra floor space with the side slide would be nice. For us, our DS uses the bottom bunk, DD is on top, and we use the back slide. That leaves the sofa and dinette usually do not have to be converted daily. If I remember correctly, we looked online at a 25RSS also, but weight and price was an issue.  We had looked at a couple Outbacks and would have had no problem going with one if it had worked out.  We had been looking at hybrids and normal rear bunks until we saw our first with this front bunk/rear slide layout and fell in love.

Mike '73 Ohio -- DW '78 Texas -- DS '04 Ohio -- DD '08 Ohio
Chloe Puppy '09
'07 Jayco Jay Flight 254 TravTrl Blue Pickup Red '03 Ford F-150  
'97  Camplite 2218SL   PopUp Grey
'93  Flagstaff 618    PopUp Bronze SUV Black  '97 Jeep Cherokee 
'01 Coleman Tent  /\   Pickup Black  '95 Nissan Truck

Nights camped 2015 - 21 -- 2014 - 93 -- 2013 - 13 -- 2012 - 15 -- 2011 - 7 -- 2010 - 12  -- 2009 - 13 -- 2008 - 19 -- 2007 - 17 -- 2006 - 9
kfriceman
Parking Heckler

Ferndale, WA

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »

I'm getting frustrated at the inefficiencies of the floor plans of hard sided trailers.  Why waste so much space on things like walk around beds? 

We are the polar opposites of this sentiment, the lack of a walk around queen bed was an absolute "no sale" with our choice of TT.

As far as convertible beds, I never, ever found one that was remotely comfortable.

-Kevin

2008 Tango 299BHS  2007 GMC Yukon Denali * 2000 Coleman Niagara GTE * 2001 Mercedes ML430

Trip count 2016: 8
Nights Camped: 29
EasyE
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 12:44:35 PM »

We are the polar opposites of this sentiment, the lack of a walk around queen bed was an absolute "no sale" with our choice of TT.

With all due respect, may I ask why?  Can't you just crawl on the bed when it's time to sleep?

Hybrid Silver  SUV Black
2000 Starcraft 17CK
2005 Toyota 4Runner V6
kfriceman
Parking Heckler

Ferndale, WA

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »

Can't you just crawl on the bed when it's time to sleep?

This is exactly why this would be a no sale item for us.

-Kevin

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 01:43:16 PM by kfriceman » Logged

2008 Tango 299BHS  2007 GMC Yukon Denali * 2000 Coleman Niagara GTE * 2001 Mercedes ML430

Trip count 2016: 8
Nights Camped: 29
radimus
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:18:46 AM »

I'm getting frustrated at the inefficiencies of the floor plans of hard sided trailers.  Why waste so much space on things like walk around beds?  Why are all couch beds too short for an adult male?  Why so many that don't seem to work for families?  But I digress.

Because those are the floorplans that sell.  I suspect most of the buyers for TT's are empty nesters.  Those short sofa beds work fine for grandkids.

Here's what I think we need:
* Bunk beds are a must
* Bed for adults 6'1 and under. Convertible is OK as long as it's comfortable enough.
* Enough room to breathe. This is what did us in with the hybrid, just too cramped for 4. (Starcraft 17ck)
* Towable with 5.3L 2003 Yukon 3.73 rated for 7400lbs.

There is a used Outback 25 RSS which caught by eye but it might be right one the edge of towable.  Originally we liked the 26 foot floor plans with horizontal couch in front of the master but now I think they might be too heavy. 

Any suggestions for a good TT in this class?

For a trailer like that I would want a TV in the 250/2500 class.  A 26' TT without any slideouts might get the weight down to something more practical to tow with your Yukon.  There are plenty of that type with rear bunks, but check the weight capacities on bunk beds in RV's.  They tend not to be rated for much weight.

rad

hybrid Red
2007 Starcraft Antigua 215S
 SUV Red 1997 GMC Yukon
1991 Ford F-150   Pickup Blue
JustG
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 10:48:11 AM »

Haha funny, I used these forums to talk myself out of a popup and choosing a hybrid. Although the DW decided she wanted full hard sides, so that hybrid was out. Like you, we have a kid and wanted a permanent bed for her, and not have to setup the dinette every morning/night. This meant a bunkhouse TT.

We have a mid truck with a 5000 towing cap. So we are planning on getting the Rockwood Mini Lite 2306. A queen sized bed(with walkaround) and two bunks at the other end. Since you have more towing capacity, take a look at the Mini Lite 2504S. About the same floor plan, but with a dinette slide out, giving some more breathing room.

Love the outdoors and getting out in it.
TV=2010 Honda Ridgeline
TT=Hopefully a Rockwood Mini Lite 2306 soon :D
TooManyTents
Parking Heckler

Willamette Valley, Oregon

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 07:58:21 AM »

EasyE,

I don't have specific models to recommend.  I think you'll need to refine your short list and start looking on line.  Go to RV shows and look - they'll be running from about now through Feb. 

Refine: "Towable by your truck".....  Look up the various weight limits on your specific truck and load it up as you would for camping and weigh it.   That should give you specific numbers to work with - how many lbs of trailer before you hit max combined gross weight, max tongue weight, etc.  That will give you a specific max trailer weight.

Refine: "Breathable".  Not sure what you mean.  For us, we found that a bathroom in the middle of the trailer made the floorplan very chopped up feeling and left two very small cramped spaces at each end with a bottleneck in the middle.  A bath at the rear end of the trailer of the same length left the whole middle open and feeling more roomy.  If you can afford the weight, a slideout makes a big difference in floor space and "roomy" feeling.

As Kevin said earlier, I don't think any convertible bed is comfortable.

You don't mind climbing into bed.  That's going to translate into a bed with the head/feet at the sides of the trailer.  That's good for you because you can get the same bed into a shorter/lighter trailer compared to a walk-around bed.

Good luck looking.

Dave Oregon - 1999 Coleman Cheyenne   2003.5 Coleman Utah  PopUp Grey  Pickup White ---->  2011 Ever-Lite 27RB TravTrl Long Green  Pickup White
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: